Product Review: Clinique Chubby Stick Moisturizing Lip Colour Balm in Richer Rasin

Monday, September 23, 2013
If memory serves me correctly, the initial launch of the original Clinique Chubby Sticks is what created the chubby lip pencil mania, which I've TOTALLY succumbed to. I've stuck with the drugstore counterparts to these since dropping $17 on a tinted lip balm is a bit mad in my opinion, but I wanted to try out the grand-daddy of all the products I've been loving lately.



The question is; is the $17 "original" better than the cheaper drugstore counterparts that I cherish so much? Find out after the jump:





The packaging here is pretty standard. It's a squat little thing made of plastic with a base that scrolls the product up and down. It has a bit more weight to it than drugstore counterparts, which leads me to believe that it's of quality construction. The colored plastic corresponds to the color of the product. 


I know, I know... it's looks terrifyingly dark. That's honestly one of the reasons I chose it though because most chubby lip pencils are happy bright shades or nudes, and I wanted to continue my fix into fall with a darker shade but...


Uhhhh... where did that gorgeous dark shade go? The pigmentation for the darkest shade in the line is super sheer. Heck, it hardly darkens my already pigmented lips. I'm a little worried about the rest of the line since most of the shades are much lighter. 

Heartbreak over the ultra sheer pigmentation aside, the formula on this is great! It glides on like a dream and the moisturized feeling sticks around for about an hour and then some. That is pretty darned good considering that it is a lip balm! I've never had that "just applied" feeling last so long before and I've sampled just about everything from drugstore budget buys to luxury lip balms. A+ in that category! It isn't formulated with any fragrances, so there really isn't much there to irritate my lips. However it does leave behind a slight cosmetic taste for just a few seconds post-application. 

TL;DR Section:

Price: $17.00

Size: 0.10 oz/3 g

Availability: Sephora, sephora.com, Clinique counters, and clinique.com

Cruelty Free: No

Pros:
  • Long lasting hydration
  • Very comfortable on the lips
  • No fragrance
  • Long wear time for a balm
  • Smooth and easy application
Cons:
  • Very sheer
  • There is a very slight "cosmetic" taste, but that goes away quickly

I feel pretty neutral about this product, but it's mostly the price tag that is trippin' me up. I LOVE chubby lip pencils, but, even with the amazing balm action here, this one leaves a few things to be desired, especially at such a high price point. I might venture into their new line of Chubby Stick Intense when the budget permits since the only thing apart from the price that is keeping me from loving these is the lack of pigmentation. If something with a little more pizzaz is your cup of tea, I'd recommend the Jordana Twist & Shine Moisturizing Balm Stains at a fraction of the price.

Overall Rating: 8/10

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top